Nikon announced on 2nd March 2015, two new software applications: the ViewNX-i image hub and the ViewNX-Movie Editor. Both applications are available as free downloads.
Designed to help you continue the creative process after the shoot, ViewNX-i is an intuitive image hub that makes it simple to organise, edit and share stills and movies from one central platform. It offers total control over images and features three dedicated workspaces that allow instant switching between image sorting, map and web upload operations. The ViewNX-i platform is tightly integrated with the new ViewNX-Movie Editor, and it works seamlessly with Nikon’s popular Capture NX-D for instant access to more advanced functions. Both programs launch directly from the ViewNX-i image hub whenever you need them.
Simple to use for both experienced software users and beginners, ViewNX-i inherits the user-friendly interface that was a primary feature of Nikon’s previous application, ViewNX2. In addition, new features include sidecar files that ensure non-destructive image processing, and you can quickly post images to social sites directly from the ViewNX-i platform. For movie shooters, the integrated ViewNX-Movie Editor makes it easy to edit, trim and manage video footage.
Zurab Kiknadze, Product Manager, Lenses, Accessories & Software, Nikon Europe, says: “The new ViewNX-i platform is all about enabling a smoother creative process after the shoot. Nikon is dedicated to offering photographers the ultimate in image quality, and imaging software has an important role to play. With the recent changes to our Capture NX-D editing software, we wanted to remove any overlap between applications. Now that our software suite includes ViewNX-i, the View-NX-Movie Editor and Capture NX-D, Nikon shooters have an extensive set of processing and adjustment tools at their disposal. Whether you’re a professional photographer who requires a flexible post-production workflow, or you simply want to explore creative adjustments and organise your digital archive, ViewNX-i makes it easy to access the tools you need.”
Summary of main features
– Intuitive image hub: browse, sort, edit and archive your stills and movies. ViewNX-i integrates tightly with Nikon’s popular image editing software for total control over your stills and movies.
– Multi-platform collaboration: process and manipulate RAW images in Capture NX-D. Edit, trim and manage movies in ViewNX-Movie Editor. Both programs launch directly from the ViewNX-i image hub whenever you need them.
– Intuitive workspaces: switch between display modes for quick access to different workspaces. Work with images and movies in Browser mode, or add geotags and work with location information in Map mode. Prepare files for upload in Web Service mode.
– Quick output buttons: easily perform common tasks. Transfer, edit and open stills and movies in other applications. Quickly print, upload and attach files, or convert and compare stills and movies at the touch of a button. You can also create artistic slideshows or play images back automatically.
– Customised display: view thumbnails vertically or horizontally according to the orientation of the image you’re working on. Alter the size of thumbnails and display shooting information in the thumbnail list. Compare images side by side. View large-sized images from a thumbnail list, or maximise your device’s display with a full-screen single image.
– Detailed shooting data: visible at any time. Choose between conventional shooting data or opt for a display based on the top panel of a Nikon D-SLR. Shooting data including ISO sensitivity, aperture, focal length and scene settings are displayed just as they were when you captured the image. Image histograms are instantly available at the click of an icon. View consecutive histograms smoothly in the Thumbnail Grid.
– Customised image sorting makes it easy to find your stills and movies. Label and rate image files for easy retrieval. Search using detailed criteria including multiple shooting data filters: Camera, Lens, ISO Sensitivity, Exposure Time, Focal Length, White Balance. Display images from multiple subfolders. Group Smart Photo Selector images shot with a Nikon 1 camera into a single file for intuitive handling.
– Photo Tray: temporarily store images from multiple folders in a single on-screen location. Photo Tray makes it easy to compile photos and movie files that you want to work on. Print, convert, edit and save unfinished or scheduled tasks for later.
– Enhance your slideshows: slideshows take on a whole new aspect with music and effects. Stills and movies can be combined in slideshows, and finished slideshows can be saved as a movie file.
– Multiple image management: take control of large batches of images with Auto Play. During still image playback, you can add labels, ratings and rotate images using simple buttons.
– Direct access to movies: create original films, trim and save movies in the ViewNX-Movie Editor. Specify playback ranges, rate movie files, pull stills from your movies and rapidly combine and edit movie clips. Upload finished movies to the web. Movie creation and editing is simple and intuitive.
– Movies with style: select a style for your movie from popular editing options: standard, fade-in/fade-out, wipe, random and stop motion. Create professional looking opening credits, closing credits and in-movie message boards. Alternatively, click the text icon to superimpose what you’ve written directly onto movie frames or stills.
– Socially integrated: upload images straight to your social media accounts. Track ‘likes’ and comments directly from ViewNX-i. Set the filter image display to show only the files you’ve uploaded to a specific social networking service.
– Geographic journey: display images with location information using the map module. Designate a location for images without geo-tags. Track your route in a sequence of images.
– Sidecar files: enable protected manipulation, adjustment and tagging of images and movies. Your changes are attached in a separate file, leaving the original image intact. Compare your adjustments, save alternate versions and return to the original image whenever you like.